How do I register to vote?
Voter Registration forms can be printed from the Secretary of State's Website. Go to www.sdsos.gov and click on Register to Vote under the Elections and Voting Tab.
You may also register to vote at the following locations:
- County auditor's office
- City finance office
- Driver's license station
- Public assistance agencies providing food stamps, TANF or WIC
- Department of Human Services offices which provide assistance to the disabled
- Military recruitment offices
- Mail-in registration with cards from the county auditor's office or from one of the links above.
- Be a United States citizen
- Reside in South Dakota (residency defined)
- Be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- Not currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction which included imprisonment, served or suspended, in an adult penitentiary system (See additional felony information)
- Not be judged mentally incompetent by a court of law
If you are unable to attend your polling place in person on Election Day, you may be eligible to vote by absentee ballot. To vote by absentee ballot, a voter must request an absentee ballot application from your County Election Official. The County Election Official will send a paper absentee ballot to the voter. The voter then completes the ballot and returns it to the County Election Official
To obtain an absentee ballot application:
- Ensure you are registered to vote. If you are unsure, confirm your registration.
- Download and print an Absentee Ballot Application (PDF) and send it to your County Election Official.
- Download an absentee ballot application by clicking this button:
In the event of confinement because of sickness or disability, a qualified voter may apply in writing and obtain an absentee ballot by authorized messenger. An authorized messenger delivers the ballot from the County Election Official to the qualified voter and then delivers the marked ballot to the County Election Official. Any application for a ballot by authorized messenger must be received by the person in charge of the election before 3:00 p.m. the day of the election.
In the event of an election the polling place for the City will be held at the Faulkton City Hall. If the School and the City would combine their election, to save on election cost, the polling place will be held at the Faulkton Community Center.
There will be proper advertising in the Faulk County Record of the correct polling place in the event of an election.
Who should I contact with further questions?
If you have any questions about an election you may contact the Faulk County Auditor at 605-598-6224 or the City Finance Officer. 605-598-6515